Neighborhood

Flushing is a neighborhood in the north central part of the City of New York, in the borough of Queens, 10 miles (16 km) east of Manhattan. It was founded in 1645 as one of the first Dutch settlements on Long Island. Today Flushing is one of the largest and most diverse neighborhoods in New York City. Flushing's diversity is reflected in the numerous ethnic groups that reside here including people of European, Asian, Hispanic and African-American descent.


Flushing Town Hall

Flushing Town Hall is located on Northern Boulevard and is the headquarters of the Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts. Built in 1862, Town Hall is a fine example of early Romanesque Revival, a style of architecture popular for public buildings of the period. For almost fifty years, this building was the focal point for the social, cultural and political life of the village of Flushing.


The Old Quaker Meeting House

The Old Quaker Meeting House is a historic Quaker house of worship located at 137-16 Northern Boulevard, in Flushing, Queens, New York. The site, built in 1694, is the oldest house of worship in New York City and the second oldest Quaker meeting house in the nation. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967. Today, it still serves as a Quaker Meeting House, with meetings for worship taking place every Sunday.


The Bowne House

The oldest house in Queens County, the original section was built in 1661 by John Bowne, a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers). Bowne's successful opposition to Governor Stuyvesant's religious intolerance restored freedom of religion to the colony of New Netherland. It is believed that the house served as a station on the Underground Railroad in the years before the Civil War.


Flushing Meadows–Corona Park

Flushing Meadows- Corona Park is the second largest public park in the City of New York, located in northern Queens, New York City. The 1,255 acre(5 km²) park was created from the former dumping ground characterized as "a valley of ashes" in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. The site, known at the time as the Corona Ash Dumps, was cleared by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, in preparation for the 1939-1940 World's Fair. Some of the buildings from the 1939 Fair were used for the first temporary headquarters of the United Nations from 1946 until it moved in 1951 to its permanent headquarters in Manhattan. The Unisphere, built as the theme symbol for the 1964/1965 World's Fair, is the main sculptural feature of the park. It stands on the site occupied by the Perisphere during the earlier fair. Bicycling paths extend around Meadow Lake and connect to the Brooklyn-Queens Greenway. Many recreational playing fields and playgrounds in the park are used for activities that reflect the vast ethnic mix of Queens; soccer and cricket are especially popular. The park is also the home of Queens Theater in the Park, the New York Hall of Science, the Queens Museum of Art, "Terrace on the Park", and a $66.3 million aquatic center, encompassing an Olympic-sized indoor pool and an NHL regulation-sized skating rink, opened in 2008. The facility, utilized by schools, leagues and community members of all ages, is the largest recreation complex in any New York City park, at 110,000 square feet.


Citi Field

Citi Field is a stadium located in Flushing, Meadows-Corona Park in the borough of Queens, New York. Completed in 2009, it is the home of Major League Baseball’s New York Mets. Citi Field was built as a replacement for the adjacent Shea Stadium. Citi Field was designed by Populous (formerly HOK Sport), and is named after Citigroup, a financial services company based in New York that purchased the naming rights. The first game at the ballpark took place on March 29, 2009, with a college baseball game between St. John’s Red Storm and the Georgetown Hoyas. The Mets played their first two games at the ballpark on April 3 and April 4, 2009 against the Boston Red Sox as charity exhibition games. Citi Field is reachable via mass transit systems such as the 7 train of the New York City Subway at the Mets-Willets Point station, and the Long Island Rail Road station also called Mets-Willets Point.


The Queens Botanical Garden

The Queens Botanical Garden is one of the 33 cultural institutions of the City of New York, located on 39 acres of City-owned land at the northeast corner of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. The Garden had its origin in the 1939 World's Fair, and opened at its current location in 1963. The mission is to provide an oasis of beauty and calm for all to enjoy and to educate people about the importance of plants in the environment and in our everyday lives. Five teaching collections include bee, bird, and woodland gardens, an herb garden and a pinetum; features include a new Home Compost Demonstration Site, six backyard demonstration gardens, a Victorian Wedding Garden, an arboretum and seasonal displays of tulips, roses, annuals and chrysanthemums. It is open to the public.


Queens Borough Public Library

The Flushing branch of the Queens Borough Public Library is located at the intersection of Kissena Boulevard and Main Street. It is the largest branch library in New York City and the busiest branch of the highest circulation system in the country. This library has developed into a valuable community resource and houses an auditorium for public events. The current building, designed by Polshek Partnership Architects, is the third to be built on the site--the first was a gift of Andrew Carnegie.


JFK Airport

JFK Airport is the top international air passenger gateway to the United States located in the southeastern section of Queens County, New York City, about fifteen miles (24 km) from midtown Manhattan and eleven miles (17.6 km) from Flushing by highway. It is operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which manages the two other major airports in the New York metropolitan area, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia. Construction of the airport began in 1943 and approximately $60 million was spent for its construction. The airport saw its first commercial flight on July 1, 1948. It was dedicated as "New York International Airport" on July 31 of that same year. The airport was renamed in 1963 in memory of the late President John F Kennedy. It is colloquially referred to simply as "Kennedy" or "JFK." In 1998, to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of JFK Airport the Port Authority introduced a new airport slogan: “JFK: Where America Greets the World.” Completed in December 2003, the AirTrain JFK links each airport terminal to New York City subways and regional commuter trains at Howard Beach and Jamaica, Queens.


The Flushing YMCA

The Flushing YMCA is located in north central part of Queens. It offers various health and fitness programs and community service programs to all age groups. The Flushing YMCA facility includes two swimming pools, a fitness training center, gymnasium, racquetball, squash, sauna and steam rooms, daily housekeeping and 24-hour security. It also offers 127 guest rooms for men and women, single and twin occupancy. Air-conditioned rooms, TV and parking are available. Thanks to its central location and convenient public transportation to and from, the Flushing YMCA provides maximum convenience for travelers whether it’s a subway ride to Manhattan or a short walk to nearby USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, Shea Stadium, Queens Botanical Gardens or numerous restaurants in the neighborhood.

News for You

Contatc Us

Contact Information

If you would like to get more information about programs at Global ESL Academy, please send us an email with your specific questions in the comment area below.

*required fields

*First Name:
*Last Name:
*Country:
Phone:
*Email:
Comments: